Thursday, July 30, 2009

An Interesting Day In Court

This morning I had to attend a court session together with 3 other employees of my company at the SOUTHERN SUMATERA HIGH COURT in Palembang City. We had to testify as witnesses for last year's fertilizer adulteration case where one of our transporters had used our fertilizer bags to store "fake" fertilizers and sent them to our customers.

This was our first time going to court. After waiting for almost 1.5 hours, the judge came into the court room which was open aired (but they had a fan and an air-con which was not turned on).
I was surprised to see a Christian holy water container (without any holy water) attached on the left side of the room's wall. On the right side of the wall, they had 2 pictures of the Taoist Goddess of Mercy and a small joss-stick holder with 6 unlit joss-sticks inside!

Finally when the main judge came into the room, he took his "hammer" and banged on the table and said, "court started" in Indonesian. Then he looked around and asked whether all the witnesses and accused parties have arrived. One of the accused person was still not in the court room yet so we had to wait for another minute. After the guy came into the court room, the main judge had to repeat the "hammering" process all over again.

After my 3 Muslim colleagues took their oaths with someone holding the Quran above their heads, it was my turn. The judge took out a bible and asked me to put my left hand on it and raise my right hand. I was told to do a "V" (peace) sign with my right hand!

I was totally confused, so I looked around. The judge quickly consulted his assistants and corrected me saying, " Sorry, for Christians you have to put 3 fingers up, not 2!". Then he showed me how to do a scout's sign with my right hand!

I could not understand why we can't just do it like how the people do it on TV?? (See Obama's picture).

After that I had to follow his words in Indonesian to swear that I will tell only the truth (or something like that). The 4 of us had to squash ourselves into a 2m long wooden bench throughout the process.

Can you believe all of these happened at the HIGH COURT of Southern Sumatera??







1 comment:

Brian Ong said...

Yes I believe that this happened in a court in the south of sumatra. :) And I swear to tell the truth and nothing is the truth. :) That's an interesting day for you.

2009/10 United Squad

2009/10 United Squad

Kings of Europe 2007/2008 - Manchester United

Kings of Europe 2007/2008 - Manchester United
UEFA Champions League & English Premier League Champions