Sunday, November 8, 2009

Leaving With A Price

I have submitted my resignation from the company last month but the company did not have any replacement identified for me until earlier this week.

I was glad that I was finally able to leave Palembang since my family is already in Brisbane. Thanks to the internet, I was still able to chat using Skype and Windows Live Messenger with my wife everyday and also see them via video once in awhile.

It has been tough for my wife to take care of my energetic son by herself. I decided to request for an earlier departure. My employment contract states that I will need to provide 2 months advance notice prior to departure. Therefore, I have to stay until mid Dec'09 which is too long for me a wait.

I talked to my GM and also MD in a nice manner about this dilemma. My MD did not get angry during the conversation and said he will discuss the matter with my GM. Later that day, I received a call from my GM saying that the company has given me permission to leave by middle of this month but will not be paying me 1/2 a months salary because I broke the employment contract. However, I need to work until middle of the month. He said that the company could have taken legal action against me for my premature departure and should take on this "small penalty".

At first I wanted to appeal but in the end I figured that the company needed a way out and they need to do something in order to prevent people from leaving the company at a short notice.

Is 1/2 a month's work without pay justifiable for earlier freedom?

2 comments:

Scott and Elaine said...

I think that 1/2 month's pay is justifiable.. especially since you won't be working it anyway. And I think that if that is all it cost to see my family earlier.. than that really is no big deal. Better 1/2 month than more! At least they let you leave early! Woo hoo! See you soon!

Brian Ong said...

I suppose 1/2 month is ok too ... but i seriously think "taking legal actions" are just empty threats. Hiring a lawyer to take up the case is just too expensive. Take medical leave if you don't feel like working ... haa haa.... :)

2009/10 United Squad

2009/10 United Squad

Kings of Europe 2007/2008 - Manchester United

Kings of Europe 2007/2008 - Manchester United
UEFA Champions League & English Premier League Champions